Sunday, February 7, 2010

My new super-power or How Mummy Saved The World!

Blog This: Challenge 31

Imagine this, you wake up tomorrow and you have a new superpower.
What would you like it to be? How would it change your life?

Will it be moving at the speed of light?

Reading peoples' minds?

X-ray vision?

The first hint of my developing super power was revealed without pomp or ceremony in a letter from a seven year old boy.


You always save me from falling. Now, I can see you all pondering madly and hear the brain cogs sorting through the possibilities. "Can she fly", you ask yourself, "or is it the ability to be omnipresent whenever her child stumbles?" Endless ideas and scenarios are popping up, aren't they? Something like this, maybe?
Child clumsily tripping on cliff edge, screams as he falls arms flailing, Super Mum zooming through the air to heroically sweep her little man into her arms and off to safety, or maybe an icecream...  


Ah, no. But more on that later. I'll just give you a small word of warning, these powers just might not be what you expect them to be.

I bet you didn't know super powers lie within all of us. Yes - every single person in the world has them, most just don't realise it yet. These little powers can be lying quietly dormant, waiting patiently to spring forth when needed. They vary from individual to individual, and to be honest there are quite a few people out there that openly choose to ignore the power. They would rather go about life in a closed world, secure in ignorance, content to play it safe. And for them the need to use the powers just never seems to arise.


So... Do you want to know the simplest way to see them? Seriously, do you? Okay, I'll tell you just in case you haven't already worked it out for yourself.

Bend down slowly until you are eye to eye with your child. That's it... real close, nose to nose. See the reflection in their pupils? Look closely now. See?

Yeah, that's you. Your child's own personal super hero, who will nurture, love and support them. Fight to the death to protect them. And save them from falling.

As for my own little unveiler, when asked what those little words meant his reply granted me super strengths I had never even dreamt of:

"Mummy, you save me from falling sad, from falling mad, from falling down."

I walked away, ten foot tall, able to leap tall buildings, lift mountains and slay dragons without raising a drop of sweat. His own personal Super Mum.

And so that's my super power. My son's steadfast belief in me. A truly exceptional power unequalled in superdom.




This is my Blog This entry. Voting starts Friday 12th Feb. One vote per ISP. Go, see the other entries, read, comment and vote for your favourite.
Anyone can vote.

11 comments:

Kellyansapansa said...

What a great post - you've risen to the challenge beautifully!

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous post! You're so right in your analogy. You simply have to believe... :)

Liss said...

LOVE this post!!

alliecat said...

Excellent post. I really liked your take on the challenge. And you are so right.

Quixotic said...

Oh, that is just gorgeous! Great post :)

Unknown said...

Yay! And you WON!

Madmother said...

Yep. Woohoo, many thanks to those who voted!

Small humble, blushing, cutrsy, More like a quick bob really.

Fe said...

With my two boys both looking at me as though I've let them down by not punishing their brother *breathe* I needed the perspective that this post brings.

Thanks Madmother! I think I like it here ;)

Madmother said...

Welcome Fe. You are one very multi-talented lady. Love your photos!

Kerri Sackville said...

Oh! What a beautiful post!! And a prize well deserved x

Eden Riley said...

Oh I love this so much. You ARE a superhero XXXX