Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Blog This Challenge 39: Ode To The Pure of Heart

After a break from entering I am enticed back into the

Blog This Challenge Arena

 by Challenge 39: The Good Deed.

It goes like this:

So friends, tell us about a good deed you have done for someone or vice-versa. Or how someone elses' good deed that you have learned about has affected you.. did you learn from it? How did it make you feel? Was it a disaster? Did it uplift you?


Now, I could bore you senseless big-noting myself, revealing my actions but to be honest, even though I am a take charge sorta gal it is not why I do it and I'd rather remain a little discreet.

Please stop laughing.
Seriously... STOP LAUGHING!
I can be discreet thank you very much.

Instead I am going to tell you of my own personal good deed merchant. Oi, you in the back there... no yawning, and I can do without the commentary. Waddya mean, "here she goes again?"

Whilst God has sent my oldest son some pretty big bloody hurdles to overcome in his genetic makeup, he also decided to throw in some complimentary awesomeness to go with the awetismness. In fact, I have a walking, talking look for the best - how can I help little ray of positiveness at times. I suppose I better now back up these incredible claims with some evidence, even if purely anecdotal. After all, you have all been deluged with the dramas, the struggles and the dark side of Asperger Syndrome so it may be a little hard to believe this declaration of good deeddomness.

Example one:
  • We are mean parents (according to the powers that be: Boy 1 and Boy 2), our children have to earn their pocket money. Boy 1, aged seven, had managed to work his way into the princely sum of five bucks. Now our little school only manages to hold tuckshop on one day a week. Boy 1 was insistent he HAD to take his whole five dollars to school with us this day. Not on tuckshop day... So I asked him the big question. "WHY? "  His answer (whilst looking at me as if I was an idiot... I should know, surely?): "Because I might meet a poor person on the way and they would need it more than I do!" Jeez Mum, get with the programme!
Example two:
  • Boy 1's wallet was stolen at a shopping centre. He put it down whilst looking at one of the centre aisle stalls of books, it had twelve dollars he had saved over three months. In his purity and lack of the understanding of human nature we spent many hours, days, weeks explaining to the little seven year old that NO. They would not bring it back because it was not theirs. No. They would not realise their mistake and hand it in. It was gone. A harsh lesson to the pure of heart. After many tears he comes to me one morning (and yes, every morning it was his topic of conversation during this period of learning about the brutality of reality). Instead of the ritual of would they bring it back today he surprises me by being calm and resolved. "Mummy. I think they didn't have any food for their kids and so they needed it to buy some. And they didn't have a spiderman wallet either. So it is okay now."
I know this is turning into another of my mammoth essays, so I will limit my little deity's words of wisdom and good deed delivery to just two more examples...


Example three:
  • Starts with a betrayal. A friend turns and months of hell result. Years of therapy are undone. My child disintegrates before my eyes. Heartbreaking. Finally, with the help of some amazing professionals we begin the climb back. I am not ready to forgive and forget, because I feel betrayed also. But once again, my son leads by example, and shows me how much he has grown through the experience. He begins to allow the betrayer back in. His aide questions the sensibility of this. I can only put it in his words: "Mrs **. Even bullies get lonely. And how is a bully to learn what is right and wrong if they do not have a friend beside them to show them how?"
Example four:
  • He is being teased at school. I, being the mature adult I am, suggest a taunting comeback. I get the look. And am firmly put in my place by an eleven year old. "If I do that MU-UM, it makes me like him. I am not like him and I will not call him names. He will grow out of it if I ignore him."



Yep, he is my own walking, talking good deedonator.

This is my entry for Challenge 39. This is my son.

17 comments:

Diminishing Lucy said...

A winner. For sure.

Madmother said...

He is, isn't he!

Diminishing Lucy said...

Ha ha,I knew you would get that. He is. It is. Made me a bit teary.

PinkPatentMaryJanes said...

Just beautiful.

Madmother said...

Awww guys, stop complimenting him. He will get a big head.

Oh hang on, too late. He is the one who will look in the mirror and go: "I am handsome, aren't I Mum!"

But seriously, for a child who should not understand these things he does pretty well. Old soul, methinks.

Kakka said...

Teary here too, definitely an old soul. What do you mean you write too much? I love reading all you write. Never stop. xxx

Unknown said...

Just gorgeous MM. Indeed a good deedinator!

Leanne @ Deep Fried Fruit said...

He obviously has wonderful parents and role models MM. I cried reading this out of absolute pride and I don't even know him!! What a beautiful spirit you have there ...

Madmother said...

I hope that essential goodness stays with him as he hits his teenage years *{{shudder}}*. Fingers crossed.

I don't know about the role model thing, I tend to be the more immature one with my reactions at times, lol (refer point four...).

Unknown said...

:)
Wish I had that tolerance..

Emma said...

Beautifully written. Your wonderful boy has more restraint than I :)

Emma said...

PS. I am your newest follower from Blog This. :)

DB said...

That is just gorgeous! What an example of humanity, that is just beautiful. xx

Katie said...

"and they probably didn't have a spiderman wallet, so it's ok now." WOW I think I need to take a lesson from this young man!

Liss said...

Congratulations on your winning entry - I see you have your winners' tile on your sidebar - looks fab - now you need to add this entry too! Go you! xx

Cinda said...

Congrats! We are always trying to teach our children the good in life but they are sometimes our best teachers.

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

What a great kid! So many examples we can all learn from there.

Thanks for Rewinding at the Fibro. :-)