Friday, October 29, 2010

Blog This Challenge 60 - Life's Hard Lessons

Life is Too Short

One of the certainties in life is death. My mother, Wise Woman, always told me life is too short, make the most of it, do not let the small bad things detract from the big wonderful ones. This is the hardest of lessons you will ever learn. I guess it is another way of saying stop and smell the roses.


God decided to try and instil this one in me at a young age of fifteen. He took my sister. Suddenly, brutally, bang - gone! My whole life changed and I became an only child. My parents fell apart and I, the only remaining child, had to attempt to keep our lives functioning in some semblance of normalcy. It was my first life lesson in grief, and my initial experience of life IS too short. Other losses followed, and today I am once more living this life lesson. I buried my mother on Tuesday. The woman who gave me a life has left mine. Not in my heart or my head but in the physical.

Some of you are sitting, reading this and wondering "why on earth at such a time as this would she be doing this challenge?" Simple. Because one of the biggest ideals my mother has left me with is so very important: Life is short. She would hate me feeling the way I do (and I do, believe me, right now I feel like my guts have been ripped out), and be telling me to look at my blessings. They are many. I had a wonderful mother who loved me deeply and shared my life for nearly forty seven years, I have a beautiful family, we live in a glorious part of the world, I have true, loyal friends who support me and hold me above the waves when I sink.


This is not coming out as I intended. What I am trying to tell you is to love those near as much as you can. Hold them, laugh with them, live with them. In the moment. The bills will end up paid, that job will eventuate, the problems will be resolved. Sometime. Children grow up, people die, life changes so EACH new day take time to smile, feel good about yourself, change those things that drag, take control of life on your terms. Live, Laugh, Love. A very Wise Woman once taught me those very things.




11 comments:

Unknown said...

So, so so true. Thank you for reminding us, and reminding yourself. Life life. And love it. xx

Tammy said...

I too know that life is too short.. as nearly 5 years ago my son was taken suddenly in his sleep aged 11 years..... no reason.. he just died...

{{HUGS}} to you at this time...

Unknown said...

So true. Lovely post MM.

Anonymous said...

Oh darling girl I get this. More than you know. Lots of love x

Ro said...

(((hugs)))
Your Mum was truly a Wise Woman and this is good advice to follow xxx

Madmother said...

Thank you everyone. I have my good moments and my bad ones with barely a moment between.

And if some are wondering why their comments are not being published, it is because I am MM here, and I obviously do not use names on this blog. So, thank you for your words, they are appreciated but will not be published.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post; I'm sorry for your loss. -xxx-

(from Blog This.)

Oh Gorgeous Baby said...

I'm so sorry that your Mother is gone now but sounds like she made you a very wise woman too.
Life is way too short. I have learned to look on the brighter side of life and try to not sweat the small stuff too much (resident stress head talking here)
I am sure your Mother is very proud you kept the words coming. Thank you for sharing.

Aakriti said...

Thank u for sharing a wonderful post. And yes I agree..I still havent learnt this lesson and indeed it's a hard one to learn. And yes..I agree with one of the person who commented..ur mother must br very proud of you!!
visiting from the Fibro
http://aakritimalik.blogspot.com/2010/08/subliminal-connectivity.html

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

Beautiful post. A wise woman indeed.

Thanks for Rewinding at the Fibro.

todd carr said...

great reminder.....our household is also in mourning. It amazing how quickly we fall into our day to day and we forget the important things in life. Gotta love each other and be at peace w/ all our relationships.

thanks for the post....visiting from the rewind.