Friday, November 6, 2009

Camp Revelations












Son no. 2




We have just returned from a 3 day/2 night camp stay with the Grade 4s and 5s. A wonderful year for me to go (DH went last year) as it is the first time both my sons have been on the same camp and this will not occur again until 2011. It has been a great learning experience for all. I am proud of both my children, they stepped up to the challenges and coped with it all admirably. Bar a few meltdowns/temper tantrums, I won't dob on who did what but I am sure you can work it out if you have read my blog previously.

I relished watching the behaviour of adults and children alike, free from the shackles of parental expectations and schoolground restrictions. The kids you least expected to cope appeared to blossom and mature, taking on roles never seen before. Others, well, lets just say I hope the parents read the letters they were forced to write to explain their behaviour, and have a little chat, though even their transgressions were minor (unforunately it was the denial and not accepting responsibility for their choices which was far more disappointing).



Son no. 1

Okay, I lied, I am going to dob on who did what...

My oldest has a bug phobia and a tick allergy, so attending a bush/farmstay camp in the middle of nowhere was always going to pose issues but he pushed his limitations and expanded his world far beyond my wildest dreams or expecations. I am so proud of him I could burst. Though we had a lot of screaming terror over March flies, wasps and ticks, he managed to rein it in pretty quickly and participated in nearly every activity.

Son no. 2 coped well, as expected, but by midday on the final day he lost it over having to wait his turn for food. He was not alone in that session, we had three incidents in fifteen minutes as most had reached the limit of their patience. Tired, hot, and with very little sleep, little tempers frayed then broke. We also had many in tears on that last day.

But it was so much fun! Even for this oldie!





No comments: