Monday, April 12, 2010

Memoir Monday - When We were Very Young



I'm getting an early start this week. Memoir Mondays are (in Trav's words):

Hey y'all. This little thing is called Memoir Monday, and I'd be thrilled if you gave it a shot. Just jot down a story about yourself, grab my code down there, and I'll link you up to be read by all my wonderful blog buddies. The only rule? It has to be true. I am personally doing what I can to help cure your case of the Mondays. Thanks for playing along!


In keeping with the five family days (oops - forgot to mention that, did I?) theme this week this memoir is from my youth. Our family took off a couple of times a year for caravan holidays. Mainly travelling up the North Coast to sunny Queensland.


Now Trav, like your family ours was somewhat traditional. Mum stayed home and did the happy housewife stuff, Dad was the breadwinner and the head of the house. We two girls did what we were told, especially when the treats on holidays were dangling in front of us.

Caravan packed, kids in the back off the Holden, off we'd toddle usually about 5am as my Dad was an early departure man. The highlights of these tours included the Golden Circle factory (the smell of burning sugar still makes me wanna barf), the Big Banana, the Porpoise Pool, Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary and Santa Land with a miniature village. Real family time with Dad smoking like a chimney, and us passively inhaling in the back seat with the windows closed. Ah, those were the days!


Oh, and no comments about the plaits. I was a kid, okay. No choice given in hairstyles.

A warm and fuzzy one today, in keeping with five family days. For a more typical Madmother Memoir check the other entry on my skating blog.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Tee hee, being a Queensland girl I regularly subject my kids to the rabid kangaroos at Currumbin. You were cute!

Rathi said...

Hey look at you... Awwwww....
No comments about the plaits, PROMISE!

Unknown said...

Hehe we went to Coffs, complete with big banana and porpoise pool, this time last year. Loved it!

Travis said...

I. Want. A. Kangaroo.

Like, Now.

Rianna said...

Yay for the plaits! What an adorable photo! It must be a seriously Aussie thing to go adventuring to somewhere with kangaroos and 'big' things. Love it. xo

Thea said...

Awww, there was nothing better than a family holiday when you were a kid.
As a mother it's hard work!! lol

I was going to say I love the plaits but you said not to make any comments about them, so I won't! ;)

Vicki said...

I still love the Big Banana - but it is so much smaller now. I also spend many of my holidays on this section of the coast so it is all familiar to me. There is a photo of me at the Porpoise Pool looking very daggy. I must try and find the photo one day.