Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Hot Flashes, Hot Flushes and The Gallons...

Continuing on with the current theme (think this may be running for a while), I present you with the bane of the menopausal woman:

Hot Flushes!

(or Hot Flashes as the northern world dwellers seem to call it)


Yes, the joy of being able to cook your breakfast WITHOUT having to leave your bed... or saving money on heating - who needs heating when your core temperature shoots sky high at irregular intervals?

And, you may be aging and your body could be driving you slowly insane, but hey! You get to wear skimpy clothes or lounge around naked in your home, it's just a different kind of HOT to what your husband remembers from years gone by. And HOT is HOT... right?

RIGHT?

RIGHT?????

Nod vigorously people - you don't want to piss offf a menopausal woman!

And we come to the next little hiccup. When you wake multiple times (oh dear Lord, I remember when the multiples related to far more pleasant images), your body on fire seeming to burn from within, what is the first thing you reach for?

Yes, fluids. Be it water, juice, soft drink, whatever, you will swallow ANYTHING to quench the fire in your parched throat and replenish those body fluids that seem to leach from you in gallons. And THAT then creates the cycle:

Hot Flush

Drink

Awake

Bladder

Toilet

Really AWAKE

Insomnia

And repeat...

Ten times per night.

Welcome to my nightmare.

You?

Oh, and I know it should be litres here in Oz, but you know what? If you are old enough to relate to this, then you are old enough to clearly remember when it was gallons... m'kay?







4 comments:

Sarah said...

Im laughing slightly hysterically knowing it's only a matter of time (and problably not much time either!).

Oh god, who would CHOOSE to be a woman?

Leanne @ Deep Fried Fruit said...

Am I supposed to be laughing this much at your current challenge? Holy shit MM ... you're hysterical. Hope you have a cooler night tonight (perhaps a trip to Canberra might help ... and besides .... we could use you to defrost the car each morning)

Me said...

THIS IS MUSIC TO MY EARS !!!! I thought I was the only one going through this - I can't tell you how much better I feel knowing that I am not the only one at night stripping naked and throwing the doona off and then explaining to my husband that although I am naked now is not a good time !!!

Thinking of you (and will continue to do so every time I wake up at night in the same situation as you) - hope you have a great day !

Love, hugs and positive energy.
Me

hot flashes said...

Its too much funny, I cant express myself in it. menopausal changes the life towards disappointment.