Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Jumping at shadows.


Paranoia is an unfounded or exaggerated distrust of others, sometimes reaching delusional proportions. Paranoid individuals constantly suspect the motives of those around them, and believe that certain individuals, or people in general, are "out to get them."
My trust in others has diminished. I now question judgement, loyalty and motives of those surrounding me. I feel betrayed. My husband, whose opinion I can rely on, tells me I need to distance myself from all involved in this fiasco. He talks to me about people making mischief and not standing by their words. Of lying by omission. "True friends would not do this," is how he phrases it.


So the free-fall continues. I am now trusting only those I have known for many, many years, the friends who have stepped up, watched my back and never, ever walked away, or twisted things to make me feel worse. As my child's psychologist once said: "There is no such thing as bad friends. People that act this way cannot be called friends."

No comments: